Welcome to the State of California 

Out-of-state Genetic Counselors:

  • Are there any reciprocity agreements with other States for Genetic Counselors who may have an out-of-state license?

    No. Genetic Counselors from other states can apply for a California license if they do business with California patients.
    And the reverse applies, if a Genetic Counselor in California does business in Utah or Massachusetts or any other State that has Genetic Counselor licensure, they need to obtain a license from that State.  Most States are attempting to have the same requirements for licensure.
  • How do I apply for a California Genetic Counselor License if I live out-of-state?

    Contact the Genetic Disease Screening Program via email at PSQAGroup@cdph.ca.gov or 510/412-1463. They will send a California Department of Justice Live Scan hard card and you will need to go to a Live Scan Center to have your fingerprints rolled. It is necessary for the State of California to process your fingerprints and to establish you in our system for continual monitoring by the California Department of Justice. You will then need to apply by completing the application form which can be obtained at: http://www.cdph.ca.gov/programs/GDSP/Pages/GeneticCounselorWebpage.aspx. Once you have had your prints rolled on to the hardcard, please return the card and application to the PSQA Group at 850 Marina Bay Parkway, F-175, Richmond, CA 94804, Attn: PSQA Group, 3rd Floor.

    For out of state applicants it will take an additional month to process your Genetic Counselor License application.

Last modified on: 8/30/2012 2:49 PM