Welcome to the State of California 

Office of AIDS

HIV Positive?  Next steps: care and treatment 

Major advances in treatment have truly changed what it means to live with HIV. An HIV diagnosis does not have to mean your life is over. If you are HIV positive, there are a number of services available to help you.  There are life-saving drugs that can help you. You may need care and/or support services, including medical care, assistance with obtaining HIV medications, assistance with housing, etc. Most of these services are available statewide and are accessed through a network of HIV service providers. 

Where can I find medical care, treatment and support services?

To find service providers in your area, you can go to the CA HIV/AIDS Service Referral Website.  This site is designed to help you find HIV testing, prevention, care & treatment, and support services in your local area. 

Where can I get help to let my sexual or needle-sharing partners know about my HIV status?

HIV Partner Services is a free service offered through local health departments.  The program provides assistance to HIV positive persons in notifying their sexual and/or needle sharing partners of possible exposure to HIV. The program is always voluntary and confidential for both the person with HIV and their partner(s).

You can go to the CA HIV/AIDS Service Referral Website to find Partner Services in your area, or contact the Partner Services Coordinator in your county by looking them up on the Partner Services Local Contact List (PDF)Opens in a new browser window..

Where can I get help paying for HIV drugs? 

HIV meds can help those living with HIV live longer lives.  The goal of the AIDS Drug Assistance Program (ADAP) is to help individuals access and maintain prescription drug coverage. Clients must apply in person at a local ADAP enrollment site with a certified eligibility/enrollment worker, and provide documents to prove eligibility. For more information and enrollment site locations, go to the Ramsell Public Health Rx website.

Where can I get help paying for my health insurance premiums?

Where can I go for housing assistance? 

The Housing Opportunities for Persons with AIDS (HOPWA) program provides housing assistance designed to alleviate or prevent homelessness for persons living with HIV/AIDS.  

Office of AIDS Home 

Last modified on: 6/26/2014 7:57 AM