Welcome to the State of California 

Adoptions or Changes in Paternity

If you would like information on how to add or change the father/parent’s name on a birth certificate or how to obtain a new birth certificate after an adoption, please select from the items below.  

Type of Request

  • Acknowledgement of Paternity (add the parent’s name) (PDF)Opens a new browser window.
  • Adjudication of Facts of Parentage (change or add a parent's name) (PDF)Opens a new browser window.
  • The Adoption Process (PDF)Opens a new browser window.
  • To order amendment forms (with informational pamphlet), click on  CDPH-VR Forms. Please allow two weeks for delivery.

    You can also get these forms from the County Recorder's Office.

    To speak with a Spanish-speaking attendant about adoption or paternity issues, call (916) 445-2684.

    Last modified on: 5/16/2016 1:25 PM